Monday, March 19, 2012

Best Friends

"Dust was everywhere," said Mariah as she sipped her tea.
"Why do you keep saying that," I asked for the fifth time?
"You really don't know...do you!"
(I hate these little gatherings we have every year.They are pointless. Every since we were in school we could not get along. If she says dust was everywhere one more time I am going to run to the bathroom and leave her with the check).
"If I knew I would not have asked."
"Ha," she said smugly.
(Let me change the subject before I forget I'm a lady).
"So how is everything? How is your mom?
"oh mom is just lovely. She is as vibrant as a twenty year old. The kids are great...I got a promotion on my job and Kelly is on her way to grad school in the fall. Life is good. What about you? How is business? I heard it was slow. And how are the boys...still getting into trouble like they're daddy I would imagine."
(I know she didn't say that when her daughter bears a striking resemblance to the high school janitor).
"Oh my family is great. The boys are thinking about studying abroad and my daughter is participating in an internship at a prestigious law firm. Tell me something: is your daughter still popular amongst the coaches? I see you have taught her well."
"Here are your drinks," said the waiter in the knick of time.
"Can I have some more napkins please," I asked waiting for a rebuttal from my worthy opponent sitting across from me.
"Sure," the waiter replied. "Will this be all? What about you mrs? Would you like anything else?"
"We're fine thanks," I reassured him.
"Did I mention Dust was everywhere," she smirked.
"Excuse me waiter, can I have the lobster and the steak...RAW (I intentionally put my hand over my eye to insinuate trouble).
"Are you going to tell me what that means or are you going to tease me with these little chants."
"Well since you insist on acting as if you do not know what I"m talking about, here goes:
"Remember your high school sweetheart Dusty?"
(I can already feel where this conversation is going...let me just get my hand ready.)
"What about him?" I replied anxiously.
"Dusty was a human dust buster. While you were so busy neglecting us and focusing all of your attention on him, he was seen leaving the movies, the bleachers, and different houses of almost every girl in town. We called him dust buster because he seemed to sweep through the town like a tornado. I even heard he was seen with Snag Mag."
"You can't be talking about Maggy Snelville with the missing front teeth, I said in shock.
"How long had you known? Why didn't you tell me?
Lol. Weren't you the least bit curious why I bought you that dust buster for Christmas?
Lol. "Are you kidding me? Why would I tell you? Remember the super glue in my bra?
(I couldn't see the top of my head but it sure felt like one of those scenes from the cartoons where the smoke steams through the ears of an angry character).
"Oh grow up!" That was ages ago.
"Well some scars don't heal that easily."
"You are such a..."
"would you ladies care for any desserts?"
"Some people have had too many desserts? Don't you agree...sis?

No comments:

Post a Comment