Monday, April 1, 2013

Daddy's Girl




Smooth as a baby’s bottom is the perfect phrase that described my skin.
A perfect 10 was yelled out by a lot of my male friends
A knockout smile passed down from birth
10 inch heels that always make my feet hurt
Funeral arrangements made by daddy for those that attempted to look under my skin
These are the things I can remember growing up

Big brown eyes that matched my mother’s DNA
Whippings on my bottom when I didn’t take heed to the things she would say
Thick hair and eyebrows that are compliments of my daddy
Astonishing looks from classmates when we pulled up in daddy’s red caddy
Anything for me, anything I wanted, and whatever made me happy
These are the things I can remember growing up

Sleepovers, slumber parties, and others were out of the question
Anticipating my first date, and praying for the release of my daddy’s blessing
Tall like a runway model, shaped like a coca-cola bottle, with a 9:00 curfew
Identical to my sisters, restricted unlike my brothers, only name a few
The only sibling living in the household but amongst many on the front pew
These are the things I can remember growing up

Blessed and fortunate than many, with a Superman daddy that could take on the world
Product of his love for my mom, I am daddy’s little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment